Frank Niehusmann studied philosophy and history at the Ruhr-University in Bochum/Germany (MA degree in 1986);
1983-1998 he was author, presenter and producer of radio- and tv-broadcastings in Germany.
In the year 1978 he started his first experiments with electronic music; since that time he composed music for numerous concerts, mixed-media events, sound-installations, experimental videos, tv,
radio broadcasts, theatre- and CD-productions.
Performances of his works took place in numerous countries of Europe, Asia and the Americas.
2006-2012 Frank Niehusmann was board member of the German Association for Electroacoustic Music DEGEM ("Deutsche Gesellschaft für Elektroakustische Musik e.V.")
Frank Niehusmann was honored with several awards:
- 2011 for his composition "Scuderia Ferrari auf der Allee der Kosmonauten" at the competition "Ferrari (r)ecouté" (a cooperation by "ZKM | Institute for Music and Acoustics", "hr2-kultur" and WERGO),
- 2006 for the radio play "Maschinen - ein Hörspiel" (a collaboration with Karl-Heinz Mauermann) at the "PHONURGIA NOVA" radio art competition,
- 2006 for his composition "Gasometer" at the competition "Short Cuts: Beauty" by "ZKM | Institute for Music and Acoustics" in the frame of the "ISCM world new music festival" in Stuttgart/Germany,
- 2002 for his composition "Untertagemusik Nr.1" at the International Competition of Electroacoustic Music and Sound Art in Bourges/France,
- 2000 for the multi-media play "Mama" (a collaboration with Rolf Dennemann) at the festival "Theaterzwang" in Dortmund/Germany,
- 1997 for his audio-visual composition "Heimat & Antarktis" at the competition of "Forum Geschichtskultur an Ruhr und Emscher" in Dortmund/Germany.
CD-recordings of Frank Niehusmann's compositions are available at
- NURNICHTNUR [ http://www.nurnichtnur.com ]
- EDITION DEGEM [ http://www.editiondegem.de ]
- Cybele Records [ http://www.cybele.de ]
- WERGO [ http://www.wergo.de ]